Preserving and Interpreting the History of Our Village Since 1970
The Lemont Area Historical Society is located in the Old Stone Church, a national landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It also contains a rich collection of historical artifacts from Lemont and the surrounding area. The purpose of the Lemont Area Historical Society is to preserve the heritage and folklore of Lemont, and to operate the museum as a repository for memorabilia and artifacts. Founded in 1970 to save the Old Stone Church, the Historical Society is a not-for-profit organization which exists through the support of its members.
Our mission is to promote research, preservation, education, and dissemination of history and collections related to the greater Lemont area.
What We Do
- We preserve and interpret the history of the Lemont Township and the Village of Lemont.
- Operate a museum in the Old Stone Church with part-time staff, historical displays, and tours.
- Develop and present history programs with our archival materials and photos for speakers.
- Host weddings, baptisms, and special celebrations in an old charming atmosphere.
- Develop and interpret tours with unique historical backgrounds and local natural areas or downtown Lemont.